Terror attacks by Islamic extremists to further their ‘pure Islamic religious traditions’ and ‘political cause’ have occurred globally. However, although many references are given by the media to terrorist attacks in France, Germany, and now Britain etc., the majority of media reports completely ignore the atrocities that Israel have suffered in the past 25 years or so.
The Islamic terrorists have used such tactics as suicide attacks, bombings, shootings, stabbings, vehicle rampage attacks, bomb hijackings, kidnappings and beheadings. The following is a list of Islamist terrorist attacks that have received very little press coverage since 1986 up to the present date (June 7, 2017). All these attacks happened to Israeli Jews living in their own country of Israel, apart from one attack in Turkey at the Neve Shalom Synagogue; one attack in Argentina, at the Buenos Aires Jewish Centre, and one attack in the United Kingdom, at the London Israeli Embassy.
I am aware that I have not included every attack in Israel, I have tried to be as thorough as possible, and the research has taken a lengthy time. I have used many sources, including information from my own news reports of which I have written over the past 22 years. I have also used various sources from the worldwide web including Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism) and TRP – TheReligionofPeace (https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/). However, if you want an even more comprehensive list of Terrorism against Israel, then do check out the Jewish Virtual Library here: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/comprehensive-listing-of-terrorism-victims-in-israel.
Whilst doing my research for this report, I came across a time lapse map video created by Milan R. Vuckovic which shows global terrorist attacks with more than 20 fatalities over the last 15 years. That means, if the fatalities from these terrorist attacks are under 20 people killed, then they are not featured here. While there have been several tragic attacks in Europe and North America, it’s the people of Africa and the Middle-East – and specifically Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan and Israel who have been the primary victims. In 2014, deaths from terrorism increased by 80% from 2013, with a total of 32,658 victims. The time lapse video can be viewed here:
Now, while there has been worldwide Islamic terrorist attacks, if you study this video, and concentrate upon the Middle East – and specifically Israel – you will see a predominantly high ratio of attacks here. So why is it, that Israel not only receives ‘bad press’, but most of the Islamic terror attacks from Hamas and the Palestinian Authority upon Israel go unreported? And why is it, that when such attacks happen in the UK, as has been the case these past few weeks, that the media will compare these devastating attacks with the ones in France, whilst completely ignoring the terrible frequent terrorist attacks upon Israel?
Yes, terrorist attacks by Islamist extremists have occurred globally as I’ve already mentioned. However, has any other nation suffered the constant volume of attacks that Israel has? And should not this be recognised by any worthy Media organisation if they were truly producing an ‘impartial’ news item? After all, as you will see from the following list that I have compiled of Islamist terrorist attacks in Israel (and other areas where Jews were killed) since 1986, the list is frightening.
More than 1,060 Israelis have been killed between 1986 and 2017, and more than 4,485 Israelis have been injured during this same period.
Please note, these figures do not include soldiers that have been killed in battle. These numbers are innocent civilians, with a few police/security people involved with civilians. Also, I have not included the rocket attacks from Hamas and Hezbollah that have happened on a regular bases. Since Israel withdrew from the Gaza Strip in 2005, terrorists have fired more than 11,000 rockets into Israel. Over 5 million Israelis are currently living under threat of rocket attacks. More than half a million Israelis have less than 60 seconds to find shelter after a rocket is launched from Gaza into Israel. Most rockets launched from Gaza into Israel are capable of reaching Israel’s biggest cities, including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Rocket fire from Gaza is a constant threat facing Israel’s civilians. In 2011 alone, 630 rockets from Gaza hit Israeli towns. As stated, these rocket attacks have not been included in the figures below. However, I have included a link here for everything you need to know about the constant threat Hamas poses to Israel’s civilians through these rocket attacks: https://www.idfblog.com/facts-figures/rocket-attacks-toward-israel/
Islamic Terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians:
- September 6, 1986: Turkey, Neve Shalom Synagogue attack. 22 killed.
- July 7, 1989: Israel, Tel Aviv Jerusalem bus 405 suicide attack, near Kiryat Yearim. 16 killed.
- April 6, 1994: Israel, Afula Bus suicide bombing. 8 killed, 55 injured.
- April 13, 1994: Israel, Hadera bus station suicide bombing. 5 killed, 30 injured.
- July 18, 1994: Argentina, Buenos Aires Jewish Centre AMIA bombing. 85 killed, 300 injured.
- July 26, 1994: United Kingdom, London Israeli Embassy attack. 0 killed, 20 injured.
- October 19, 1994: Israel, The Dizengoff Street bus bombing was a Hamas suicide attack on a passenger bus driving down Dizengoff Street in Tel Aviv. 22 killed, 50 injured.
- November 11, 1994: Israel, Netzarim Junction bombing. 3 killed, 12 injured.
- January 22, 1995: Israel, The Beit Lid suicide bombing – a suicide attack by Palestinian Islamic Jihad. 20 killed, 69 injured.
- January 30, 1995: Israel, A car bomb exploded outside of a police station. 42 killed, 286 injured.
- July 20, 1995: Israel, Jammu bombing. 17 killed, 100+ injured.
- July 24, 1995: Israel, The Ramat Gan bus bombing, a suicide attack by Hamas. 5 killed, 33 injured.
- February 25, 1996: Israel, Jaffa Road bus bombings, two attacks on Jerusalem route 18 buses by Hamas. 45 killed, 52 injured.
- March 4, 1996: Israel, Dizengoff Center suicide bombing by Hamas at Purim. 13 killed, 130 injured.
- March 21, 1997: Israel, Tel Aviv – The Café Apropo bombing by Hamas. 3 killed, 46 injured.
- July 30, 1997: Israel, Jerusalem. Mahane Yehuda Market bombings by Hamas. 16 killed, 178 injured.
- March 4, 2001: Israel, Netanya. 3 killed, 60+ injured.
- May 18, 2001: Israel, Netanya, HaSharon Mall suicide bombing. 5 killed, 100 injured.
- June 1, 2001: Israel, Tel Aviv. Dolphinarium discotheque suicide bombing. 21 killed, 100+ injured.
- August 9, 2001: Israel, Jerusalem. The Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing by Hamas. 15 killed, 130 injured.
- September 9, 2001: Israel, Nahariya train station bombing by Hamas. 3 killed, 94 injured.
- November 29, 2001: Israel, The Pardes Hanna bus bombing. 3 killed, 7 injured.
- December 2, 2001: Israel, Haifa bus no 16, suicide bombing. 15 killed, 40 injured.
- January 25, 2002: Israel, Tel Aviv outdoor mall bombing. 1 killed, 24 injured.
- January 27, 2002: Israel, Jaffa Street Jerusalem bombing. 2 killed, 100+ injured.
- March 2, 2002: Israel, Jerusalem. Suicide bombing. 12 killed, 54 injured.
- March 9, 2002: Israel, Jerusalem. The Café Moment bombing. 12 killed, 50+ injured.
- March 20, 2002: Israel, suicide bombing in Umm al-Fahm in northern Israel. 8 killed, 27 injured.
- March 21, 2002: Israel, Jerusalem, King George Street bombing. 4 killed, 42 injured.
- March 27, 2002: Israel, Netanya. Passover massacre by Hamas. 31 killed, 140 injured.
- March 29, 2002: Israel, Kiryat HaYovel supermarket bombing. 3 killed, 28 injured.
- March 31, 2002: Israel, Haifa, Matza restaurant suicide bombing. 17 killed, 40+ injured.
- April 10, 2002: Israel, Yagur Junction bombing. 9 killed, 19 injured.
- April 12, 2002: Israel, Mahane Yehuda Market bombing. 7 killed, 104 injured.
- May 7, 2002: Israel, Rishon LeZion bombing. 16 killed, 57 injured.
- May 19, 2002: Israel, Netanya Market bombing. 4 killed, 59 injured.
- June 5, 2002: Israel, Megiddo Junction bus bombing. 14 killed, 43 injured.
- June 11, 2002: Israel, Herzliya shawarma restaurant bombing. 1 killed, 15 injured.
- June 18, 2002: Israel, Patt Junction Bus bombing. 19 killed, 74 injured.
- June 19, 2002: Israel, French Hill suicide bombing. 7 killed, 50 injured.
- July 16, 2002: Israel, Immanuel bus attack. 9 killed, 20 injured.
- July 17, 2002: Israel, Neve Shaanan Street bombing. 5 killed, 40 injured.
- July 31, 2002: Israel, Hebrew University bombing. 9 killed, 100 injured.
- August 4, 2002: Israel, Meron Junction Bus 361 attack. 9 killed, 38 injured.
- September 19, 2002: Israel, Allenby Street bus bombing. 6 killed, 70 injured.
- October 21, 2002: Israel, Karkur junction suicide bombing. 14 killed, 40+ injured.
- October 27, 2002: Israel, Sonol gas station bombing. 3 killed, 18 injured.
- November 21, 2002: Israel, Mexico Street, Kiryat Menachem bus bombing. 15 killed, 50 injured.
- January 5, 2003: Israel, Tel Aviv central bus station massacre. 23 killed, 100+ injured.
- March 5, 2003: Israel, Haifa bus no.37 suicide bombing. 17 killed, 53 injured.
- April 30, 2003: Israel, Mike’s Place Tel Aviv suicide bombing. 3 killed, 50+ injured.
- May 18, 2003: Israel, Jerusalem French Hill suicide bombings. 7 killed, 20 injured.
- May 19, 2003: Israel, Afula mall bombing. 3 killed, 70 injured.
- June 11, 2003: Israel, Davidka Square bus bombing. 17 killed, 100+ injured.
- August 19, 2003: Israel, Jerusalem, Shmuel HaNavi bus bombing. 24 killed, 130+ injured.
- September 9, 2003: Israel, Tzrifin bus stop attack. 9 killed, 15 injured.
- September 9, 2003: Israel, Jerusalem’s Café Hillel bombing. 7 killed, 50+ injured.
- October 4, 2003: Israel Haifa. The Maxim restaurant suicide bombing. Among the victims were two families and four children, including a two-month-old baby. 21 killed, 51 injured.
- January 14, 2004: Israel, Erez Crossing bombing. 4 killed, 10 injured.
- January 29, 2004: Israel, Gaza Street bus bombing. 11 killed, 50+ injured.
- February 22, 2004: Israel, Liberty Bell Park, Jerusalem bus bombing. 8 killed, 60 wounded.
- January 13, 2005: Israel, Karni border crossing attack. 6 killed, 4 injured.
- February 25, 2005: Israel, Stage Club bombing, Tel Aviv. 5 killed, 50+ injured.
- July 12, 2005, Israel, HaSharon Mall, Netanya, suicide bombing. 5 killed, 90+ injured.
- October 26, 2005: Israel, Hadera Market bombing. 7 killed, 55 injured.
- December 5, 2005: Israel, HaSharon Mall, Netanya suicide bombing. 5 killed, 40+ injured.
- May 30, 2006: Israel, Kedumim in Samaria bombing. 4 killed.
- April 17, 2006: Israel, Tel Aviv shawarma restaurant bombing. 11 killed, 70 injured.
- January 29, 2007: Israel, Eilat bombing. 3 killed.
- February 4, 2008: Israel, Dimona. Suicide bombing. 1 killed, 9 injured.
- March 6, 2008: Israel, Mercaz Harav Yeshiva in Jerusalem. Shootings. 8 killed, 11 injured.
- July 2, 2008: Israel, Jerusalem. Terrorist attack – Bulldozer ploughed into cars and pedestrians as well as two public buses carrying some 50 passengers. 3 killed, 50 injured.
- October 23, 2008: Israel, Jerusalem. Man stabbed to death in Gilo.
- April 2, 2009: Israel, Gush Etzion. A teenager was murdered by an axe-wielding terrorist in his home town of Bat Ayin.
- August 31, 2010: Israel, Hebron. Four Israelis, including a married couple, murdered by Hamas in drive-by shooting attack on Route 60 near Kiryat Arba, east of Hebron. 4 killed.
- March 11, 2011: Israel, Northern Samaria. Udi Fogel (36); Ruth Fogel (35); Yoav (11); Elad (4); Hadas (3 months) stabbed to death by Palestinian terrorists inside their home in the village of Itamar during a Sabbath night. 5 killed.
- August 18, 2011: Israel, Eilat. Multi-pronged terrorist attack in southern Israel. 8 killed, 40 injured.
- September 23, 2011: Israel, Kiryat Arba. A father and his one year old son were killed on Route 60 in their car by Palestinians. 2 killed.
- November 15, 2012: Israel, Kiryat Malachi. Three people killed when a rocket fired by Hamas directly struck the apartment in which they lived. 3 killed (however this should be 4 as one woman killed was pregnant). 3 children – including a four year boy and 2 babies – were injured.
- April 30, 2013: Israel, Ariel. A father of five, was stabbed to death by a Palestinian terrorist as he waited at the bus station near the city of Ariel.
- June 30, 2014: Israel, Gush Etzion. Three Yeshiva students (2 aged 16, the other aged 19) disappeared. After a three week search their bodies were found near Halhul. This attack is the spark that began Operation Protective Edge. 3 killed.
- October 22, 2014: Israel. Hamas terrorist rammed his vehicle into Israelis in Jerusalem. 2 killed (including a 3 month old baby girl), 8 injured.
- November 5, 2014: Israel, Jerusalem. In a similar attack to the one that claimed the lives of a 3 month old child, a Palestinian man drove his car into a light-rail station on November 5. 1 killed, 14 injured.
- November 10, 2014: Israel, Hebron. Stabbing attack by Palestinian terrorist. 2 killed, 2 injured.
- November 18, 2014: Israel, Jerusalem. Synagogue attack. 5 killed, 7 injured.
- April 15, 2015: Israel, Jerusalem. One man killed and his girlfriend seriously injured on Holocaust Remembrance Day by Palestinian terrorist.
- June 29, 2015: Israel, Shuvat Rachel shooting. 1 killed, 1 injured.
- October 1, 2015: Israel, Samaria. Two parents (both early 30s) were ambushed by Palestinian gunmen as they drove with their four children, all under the age of 10. The terrorist shot the parents multiple times while the children who had just witnessed their parent’s murder were only lightly injured.
- October 3, 2015: Israel, Jerusalem. Palestinian terrorist killed 2 Israelis in Jerusalem’s Old City. The stabbing attack also injured one woman and her baby. 2 killed, 2 wounded.
- October 13, 2015: Israel, Jerusalem. Four Israelis killed and fifteen injured in a stabbing and shooting attack on a bus in Southern Jerusalem.
- November 13, 2015: Israel, Otniel junction. A father and his son were shot to death by Palestinian gunmen who opened fire on their vehicle neat the Otniel junction in Southern Samaria. The man’s wife and three daughters sustained minor injuries. 2 killed, 3 injured.
- November 19, 2015: Israel, Gush Etzion. Four Israelis killed by Palestinian terrorists.
- November 23, 2015: Israel, Gush Etzion. Two more Israelis stabbed at a bus stop by Palestinian Terrorist. 2 killed, 2 wounded.
- January 1, 2016: At a New Year’s celebration at a local pub an Arab terrorist opened fire, killing two individuals and injuring eight. The suspect was located and killed in a shootout on January 8, 2016.
- June 8, 2016: Israel, Tel Aviv. Four Israelis were killed and five injured when two Palestinian terrorists opened fire in the popular Sarona Market in Tel Aviv.
- June 30, 2016: Israel, Kiryat Arba. A 13-year old Israeli girl was stabbed to death in her bed by 19-year old Palestinian terrorist, who had broken into her home.
- October 9, 2016: Israel, Jerusalem. Palestinian gunmen opened fire from their car at a light-rail stop outside of the main police station in Ammunition Hill, injuring two victims and killing one. Police gave chase – one officer was killed, and another was wounded.
- January 8, 2017. Israel, Jerusalem. A Facebook friend of mine, Yael Yekutiel, along with three other soldiers Cadet Shir Hajaj (22), Cadet Shira Tzur (20), Cadet Erez Orbach (20), were killed by a Arab Palestinian truck driver who deliberately drove his truck into a group of Israeli soldiers who had just got off a bus. 4 killed, 12+ injured.
- April 6, 2017: Israel, route 60. One Israeli was killed and another seriously wounded in a car-ramming attack on a Route 60 bus stop outside the town of Ofra.
- April 14, 2017: Israel, Jerusalem. A 23-year old British female tourist was stabbed to death in a terror attack on Jerusalem’s light-rail. A 30-year old pregnant Israeli woman was injured when the light-rail train came to an abrupt halt during the attack.
The photos below are taken of the bus stop on Mexico Street where I survived a terrorist attack. On November 21, 2002, at around 7:00 am, Palestinian suicide bomber Na’el Abu Hilail, wearing an explosives belt packed with five-kilograms of explosives and shrapnel, boarded the public bus on Mexico Street in Jerusalem. The suicide bomber detonated the explosives in the crowded bus – with many school children on board, before the bus reached the next stop, while the bus was in the area of Kiryat Menachem. 15 people were killed in the attack and over 50 were injured.
The photos were taken in 2005. It took me three years before I could face revisiting the sight.
Below are a few photos of Yael Yekutiel are her friends. On January 8, 2017, a Facebook friend of mine, Yael Yekutiel, along with three other soldiers Cadet Shir Hajaj (22), Cadet Shira Tzur (20), Cadet Erez Orbach (20), were killed by an Arab Palestinian truck driver who deliberately drove his truck into a group of Israeli soldiers who had just got off a bus. 4 killed, 12+ injured. This page on my blog is dedicated to Yael.
(Middle East News Correspondent)